Mintek is South Africa’s national mineral research organisation, specialising in mineral and metal technology. Mintek works closely with industry and other R&D institutions and provides service testwork, process development and optimisation, consulting and innovative products to clients worldwide.
Mintek’s primary mandate is to serve the South African national interest through research, development and technology transfer, and to foster the establishment and expansion of industries in the minerals and metals fields.
- is engaged in all mineral commodities and technologies, with the exception of iron- and steel making;
- has been in existence for 80 years, during which time it has accumulated an enormous project and mineral resource database;
- has a staff complement of 750, of which 250 are qualified engineers and scientists;
- has an impressive record of developing and implementing innovative technologies;
- has amongst the world’s largest integerated processing testwork facilities – from bench-scale to very large pilot scale equipment;
- conducts over 800 commercial projects each year, accounting for around 50% of its budget;
- is part of international research networks and is currently engaged in 4 Horizon 2020 programmes.